Wednesday, June 13, 2018

My future Army timeline

Today I logged into my Army Knowledge Online (AKO) account and checked "MyMEB." It shows where you're at in your MEB timeline and how your timeline compares with Army averages. Here's what the process is supposed to look like:
  1. Referral. The doctor identifies something wrong with you (a "P3" condition in your "PULHES"). From there you have 10 days to meet with your PEBLO and the MCS.

    I heard from my neurologist on January 3rd that I had M.S., but had to leave for California the next day. Once I got back in early March, I scheduled my appointment, but that was for April 4th.

    On April 4th, my primary care provider initiated the MEB, but even then I had a lot of upcoming trips. I was in Seattle for two weeks, and then Alaska for one more. So I didn't get to officially meet with my MCS until May 21st, 47 days after my referral.

  2. VA Claim. The MCS has 10 days to process the list of everything that's wrong with you and have the VA schedule appointments. This took a little longer for me because I had a third trip to take to El Paso, and my MCS wanted to wait for me to be available.

  3. Medical Exams. The Army allots 45 days for this, but I finished my exams in 12 because I had only two days of actual appointments (yesterday and Monday). (33 is the average.) The supervising doctor generates a Narrative Summary (NARSUM) and sends it to the Medical Evaluation Board (MEB). I'm in the middle of this phase right now.

  4. Medical Evaluation Board. This group has 35 days to review the NARSUM and decide on (suggest?) the disability percentage. Average is 23 days. I expect this to wrap up by mid-July.

  5. Informal Physical Evaluation Board. As I understand it, this group has 15 days to decide on the disability percentage and/or soldier retention. Average is 9.

  6. PEBLO counsel and soldier election. Based on the PEB's findings, my liaison officer and I have 13 days to decide whether I'll accept the disability percentage or appeal. Average is 10. This should happen by end of July.

  7. PEB Appeal or VA Reconsideration. If a soldier appeals, the process is supposed to take 55 days, but averages 60.

  8. PDA action. I think this is the group that makes the final decision. They're supposed to complete this in 10 days (average is 15). Assuming I appeal, this should be mid-October; if I don't, maybe mid-August.

  9. Transition. At this point, I begin to transition out. I'll clear my unit and the installation, and begin terminal leave (where I use up my 60 accrued vacation days). It's supposed to happen in 45 days, but 75 is the average.

  10. Benefits. I'm not sure what this is, but it seems a bit late in the game to go over benefits for the first time. In any case, 30 days are allotted for it, though 19 is the average.
All total, the Army allocates 268 days for the entire process, though it averages 242. If I appeal, my last day in the Army would be in January; if not, well, maybe early November.

No comments: