Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Interview

Today I had an interview with one of Korea’s major banks. They’re creating a position for a native English speaker, and one of my friends from church recommended me. It’s really exciting because I’ll have the chance to both draw on my past experience as an editor AND use my degree.

From what I understand, the position will assist the different external relations teams (investor relations, marketing, public relations, website management, etc.) in making sure things make sense carry the proper meaning. I’m sure there’ll be no shortage of work – bad English is really pervasive here.

For example, here’s an advertisement I saw on Monday – the company apparently confused the terms “pace maker” and “pace setter.”

It’s subtle, but there is a big difference.

No comments: