Thursday, August 02, 2007

Hero #7 James J. Braddock

I recently heard a church lesson based on the life of James J. Braddock, one of the great inspirational stories of the 1930s.

Clips from the movie "Cinderella Man," were used as examples of how to have good marriage and family relationships. The movie starring Russell Crowe and Renee Zellwegger, is really inspiring -- I really recommend it.

More impressive is the movie's consistency in matching real life. With the exception of Max Baer's personality, just about everything is the movie is consistent with what happened in real life.

Plus, Braddock had a life after he finished boxing. He fought in World War II and helped build the Verrazano Bridge in New York City.

One of the themes from the movie is "there's always someone worse off than we are." That was really important for me. I have a tendency to regret mistakes and complain rather than see all the positives in my life.

No comments: