Saturday, April 18, 2009

80's sitcoms on DVD

At the end of my life, I doubt I'll ever look back and say, "You know, I wish I'd watched more TV."

That said, I like the idea of getting the shows that I grew up with on DVD. Once I started working in 1991, I missed out on whole seasons of shows that I really liked. It would be nice to go back and see them again as an adult.

Take for example Growing Pains. It ran from 1985 to 1992, when ratings had declined so much that it was cancelled, even though they'd brought in Leonardo DiCaprio for the last two seasons. (MacGyver and Who's the Boss were also cancelled that same year. I blame myself for not watching.)

The good news is that Parker Lewis Can't Lose will be released on June 30. I've been waiting for years for someone to make that decision -- it was pretty much everything that I'd hoped my high school years would be, but weren't.

And just to mix it up a bit, I think I'll get the Chinese version of Growing Pains -- 成长的烦恼. As long as I'm reliving my adolescence, I might as well get some language practice as well.

In case some executive somewhere is reading this, here's the list of other stuff I'd consider buying:
  • Who's the boss 1984-1992
  • Family Ties 1982-1989
  • MacGyver 1985-1992
  • Star Trek: Next Generation 1987-1994
  • Parker Lewis Can't Lose 1990-1993
  • Perfect Strangers 1986-1993

No comments: