Friday, June 24, 2011

First Reenlistment

One of the things officers get to do is perform reenlistments. This one, my first, was a particular privilege because it wasn't even one of "my" soldiers -- it was for one of the Reservists at the Ammunition Supply Point. It was also really nerve-wracking because we did it with the entire Force Support Team there -- Australians and Americans together.

In addition, it was special because it pulled the FLE together, which is one of my goals. Rather than send some officer up here just to do a 15 minute ceremony, the Ordnance Company went through me. It makes a lot of sense, yes, but in an environment where time and money issues don't hold as much sway as in the private sector, it was a particular honor.

In the brief speech I gave, I talked about how life in the Reserves used to be a brief thing. Historically, guys would enlist for 90 days to address whatever threat the community faced. When the threat was over, they'd go back home.

This conflict, on the other hand, has lasted for 10 years. And it's likely that by the time this sergeant's next three year enlistment is up, he'll more than likely face another deployment. That's what makes a reenlistment such a respectable and honorable thing to do, and that's why we make a big deal out of it.

I then turned and led the sergeant through the Oath of Enlistment (without notes, by the way), shook his hand, and offered my congratulations.

I'd say it went well.

No comments: