Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sequels I'll never see

In their January 13th issue, Entertainment Weekly dedicated a page to sequels that, sadly, will never be.

Here are the originals:
  1. Dune. I remember seeing the 1984 version on TV, and how it inspired me to read the whole series by Frank Herbert (though I haven't read the ones his son Brian Herbert finished). Though william Hurt replaced Kyle MacLachlan in the 2000 and 2003 miniseries, I still feel bad about what became my 1980s Paul Atreides' career (Showgirls, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2, Desperate Housewives, etc).

  2. Speed Racer, 2008. I'm not sure exactly what went wrong with this one. It was entertaining enough; maybe the problem was that -- like the 1980s cartoon Superfriends -- you just can't make a decent movie from a silly cartoon.

  3. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 2005. Like most Hollywood producers, the only Douglas Adams book I've ever been interested in was the first. I like non-sequiturs, but there's only so much randomness I can take, and movie successfully filled my quota.

  4. I Am Number Four, 2011. I didn't see it because I was deployed at the time, but having read about serious internal logic problems ("you're the only one left; oh yeah, but I'm an alien, too") I've lost interest.

  5. The Golden Compass, 2007. I refused to see this one, too, but not because I cared about anti-religious claims. Rather I didn't think a "think for yourself and question authority" message belonged in a family-oriented film. It just didn't appeal to me.

  6. Eragon, 2006. Here's another young reader-oriented book series that I just didn't read. Having seen the 2000 Dungeons and Dragons and the 1996 DragonHeart, I just wasn't interested in another dragon movie.

  7. Prince of Persia, 2010. The movie was entertaining enough, but I agree that a sequel based on another video game in the series would be a mistake.

  8. Green Lantern, 2011. "The one thing a Green Lantern is supposed to be is fearless ... that isn't me." Really? And you're a test pilot? Except for the last 15 minutes, I didn't see it, and I could have guessed that anyway.

  9. A Series of Unfortunate Events, 2004. A sad movie, and one I wouldn't show to anyone under 10 years old, but it was entertaining. It's just too bad that it relied on on every adult character to be a bleeding moron. Hard to justify a sequel.

  10. Godzilla, 1998. This isn't Japan, and these aren't the 1970s. enough said.

No comments: