Friday, February 17, 2012

Door closed, but windows still open

In addition to the excitement about a new job within the Army, representatives from Cameron Brooks were in town today to talk about opportunities in the private sector. Given that I've completed my service obligation, I thought it was worth a look.

I first heard about Cameron Brooks while I was in Officer Candiate School. As a headhunting company, they focus exclusively on placing junior officers in Fortune 500 companies. I remember thinking that if things don't work out with the Army, they would be a great way to transition back into the private sector.

As it is, though, I'm not their typical demographic for a junior officer. They're looking more for someone who's only ever known ROTC or a service academy, and therefore can be developed into a future senior leader for the company. I may be a junior officer, but I don't fit that mold.

No big deal. In a sense, I'm almost relieved that it's no longer an option I have to take into consideration. As an Army captain I hope to serve in Korea or Japan, and even if I can't become a Foreign Area Officer as a major, there are still plenty of interesting assignments try for.

If nothing else, by staying in two more years I can earn entitlement to the Special Separation Bonus the Army is rolling out [look for VSI & SSB]. That's not too shabby.

No comments: