Friday, March 16, 2012

Japanese DLPT

Last year the Army downgraded a bunch of languages, including all the foreign languages I happen to know. Chinese (Mandarin) and Korea moved from Class A to Class B, so the payout for someone at a 2/2 level (listening and reading) is now $150, not $200.

Japanese and French fell off the list completely -- now no one gets any money for those despite their job or ability in those languages. That was a bit of a bummer for two reasons -- first because French was the foreign language I do the best in, and second because I've been studying Japanese since last year.

In any case, despite the short-term pointlessness of it, the I took the Japanese DLPT today. I did about as well as what I was expecting -- 1+/1+. The only good news is that this allows me to pad my Officer Record Brief with another language.

What I hope is that someone, someday, will see that and say "Wow, we oughta formally train this guy in one of these languages for some sort of special job. He'd probably be real successful."

It will probably be a loooong while, but yeah, that's the dream.

For information about the DLPT, check out the DLIFLC website. I'll also answer any questions you put in a comment.

No comments: