Monday, April 23, 2012

Review: Hunger Games

I saw Hunger Games this past week. Jennifer Lawrence, true to what I'd heard, did a fine job showing a range of emotions that made this much more than just an action movie.

On the other hand, I thought they could have done more with the whole "district unity" theme to make it relevant to an election year, and -- for being a movie about survival -- some of the tributes used ridiculously stupid tactics. And though I suppose the love triangle was inevitable, it came off as a little cliche.
Still, all things considered, it was a good movie. My favorite part was when Katniss offers a salute to the "camera" for District 11. It fit well within the plot's premise, and I appreciated the underlying message that -- even in matters of life and death -- respect and honor is still important.

That said, I still have a soft spot for another bow-wielding actress, Anne Popplewell, a.k.a. Susan from the Chronicles of Narnia. She may not be able to hit a flying bird, but she is much more stlish.

Yet of all movie characters armed with pre-modern ranged weapons, none can compare with Hard Target's Wilford Brimley.

Forget about diabetes and oatmeal commericals -- this guy's fierce.

No comments: