Friday, April 19, 2013

In-processing

This week has been all about in-processing, so I spent Monday morning turning in paperwork -- I hit the "One Stop" center, dental, Tricare, and the housing office. At the housing office I learned there was a unit available that was pending floor repairs, so we took a look at that in the afternoon. Those things pretty much ate up the whole day, so that was it.

On Tuesday I had the "newcomers briefing," where all the different agencies come in and speak to you about what they do. As with all things, not everything applies to everyone, but there was a lot of useful information there. I left a little early to resume the house search. We looked at an office-tel near Pyeongtaek Station and take another look at the very first place we saw. I spent Wednesday through Friday at Pyeongtaek University doing the G-9's "Headstart" program. Not to be confused with the Defense Language Institute's online program, this is an introduction to Korean culture and writing. We got shuttled there in the morning to listen to lectures, and in the afternoon learned about Hangeul (한글).

Friday was a little different. With permission from the program coordinator, I brought the kids along. In the morning we learned about traffic regulations, and in the afternoon we went to the Korean Folk Village (민속촌, 民俗村). It'll be a few days before I can load those pictures, though, because I think I left my camera on the bus. More on this later....

No comments: