Thursday, August 01, 2013

The extent of my TDY money

Initially, I thought detached duty in Yongsan would be a sweet setup. I thought I'd stay in the Dragon Hill Lodge and get a per diem that -- over the course of the month, would be well worth the trip.

Well, that's not exactly how it works.

For housing, I get to stay at the Walker Center. The open bay-style accomodations with dozens of other officers is considered adequate enough, and for the Army it's entirely free.

For food, my monthly $242 BAS allowance is considered sufficient, despite the fact the Walker Center doesn't allow food in the bays. I guess they figured I can take care of myself as well as when I'm at home.

And while laundry isn't free, it's only about $2 a load -- hardly worth the bother for the Army, right?
No, the only thing I get is a bus ticket up, and a bus ticket back...

...the Army's way of saying, "Thanks for making the trip."

No comments: