Friday, July 07, 2017

Cubs' OF as pitcher: a fine tradition

Three things happened last year that I would not have guessed:
  1. Donald Trump won the election,
  2. Army beat Navy, and
  3. The Chicago Cubs won the World Series.
Pretty crazy stuff. As an Army professional I'm nonchalant about the first one, I didn't go to West Point so I didn't super-care about that either, but I was pretty fired up about the Cubs' winning. So as I read about stuff like outfielder Jon Jay pitching a scoreless inning with Little League-type pitches, I get a little nostalgic about all the summers I spent watching and hoping that the Cubs would do well.

Jay's performance reminded me of former Cubs outfielder Doug Dascenzo, who in a 1990 game I watched did the same thing, and had the best ERA (0.00) of any reliever that season.

Great memories...

No comments: