Saturday, April 07, 2018

Remembering Brandt

On March 5th, a man named Brandt Like went missing, last seen near Kakaako State Park. He was found three days later, in Laie -- the other side of Oahu.
I went to the University of Hawaii with Brandt, and we were part of the campus ministry together. Regardless, I hadn't seen him in about 13 years. It wasn't that I was avoiding him. I just had other things going on in my life; I assumed he did, too.

Well, I went to his memorial today. From what I understand, he'd committed suicide.

What's crushing to me is what he left behind. As a middle school science teacher for 17 years, he'd taught over 2,000 students. Many of their posters were on display. Others wrote on the walls of his homeroom.
Brandt also left behind a church building full of people whose lives he was a part of. I don't have the total, but I was #298 on the guest registry.
Brandt had a lot of amazing experiences in his life. He could sing, dance hula, handle a boat, lead a classroom, and enjoy great emotional heights. Sadly, he also struggled a lot with depression -- a battle he apparently could not overcome.

I wish I had something more hopeful to say. I wish his students didn't have an adult in their lives who made a decision like this. And I wish I could show him the pictures I took of everyone who had such moving things to say about him.

But no. Instead, I keep thinking about this:
"And when the hourglass has run out, the hourglass of temporality, when the noise of secular life has grown silent and its restless or ineffectual activism has come to an end, when everything around you is still, as it is in eternity, then eternity asks you and every individual in these millions and millions about only one thing: whether you have lived in despair or not." -Sรธren Kierkegaard, The Sickness Unto Death

3 comments:

Carrie Ann Leilani Lee said...

Brandt Like truly left a legacy as well as an impact on many thousands of lives. Low and behold I have learned that one of his students had become a colleague of my own sister. Listening to her share about her teacher brought joy and goose bumps. She shared about how he was a good teacher. Brandt knew how to get his entire classes attention. Taught them the value of life and love what you do and do it with such passion. This he'd show by his actions. Brandt has helped over see our singles ministry on the east region. And I had the privilege to be apart of his hui 'Ohana 'Ola ( 'Ohana group). Yes, despite long hours at work teaching and catching up on after school work he always had the strength and the energy to help lead our bible studies. He often reminded me to never fear showing off and or talking about my GOD. He taught me to let my voice be heard for I had alot to share about our Great GOD. I remember the day we prayed over the phone while I was on the bus full of people. I just put my head down as we both knew the longer I prayed the louder I'd get then he had to remind me to use my inner voice and yet not be ashamed. I am glad I got to meet amd speak briefly to his dad Mr William Like and share some assurance. And his sweet mom Mrs. Joanne Like. I'm not sure how long it's been since I've spoken to Brandt but I do remember our last conversation when i unexpectedly called him on his 41st birthday on September 26 2017. He was surprised and grateful to hear from a familiar friend. The night of the day I found out about his going home to Jesus I had a dream that gave me closure. Brandt more than often put others first.

Unknown said...

I loved Brandt dearly. I first met him as my youngest daughters science teacher. Then I was blessed to work with him at KMS. As I got to know him, he enlightened me with his tender spirit. I am sad that he is gone. I will miss you my brother. Hugs and honiz. ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’ž๐ŸŒธLehua๐ŸŒธ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’–

Anonymous said...

Brandt was my mentor teacher back in 2014. He challenged me each day—tough love for sure, but it made me into a very confident and passionate teacher. Observing him teach his middle schoolers was amazing. He commanded the classroom and really pushed his students to their full potential. I moved to Seattle to teach for a couple years and came back to Hawaii to teach then at a workshop I learned from his coworkers of his passing.. I didn’t realize the reason for his passing until later on. I’m no longer a teacher, but when I do train people I still think of the lessons he thought me. RIP Brandt—you’ve made a humongous impact on so many. I hope you’ve found peace and. Your legacy will live on.