Saturday, May 05, 2018

How to get rich off per diem

As an unpaid intern back in Shanghai in 2006, I kept my lunch expenses low with Tang and peanut butter sandwiches (filtered water was free at the office). One day, the deputy section chief walked past my desk and commented, "That's how you get rich on a government salary."

I have another tip for readers: how to get rich on Temporary Duty (TDY). This is where the Army sends you someplace and pays you a per diem while you're there. Recently, I went to Washington State for 12 days for an Army course, and managed to save a pretty good chunk of money.

First, determine how much per diem is. For Fort Lewis, you get $48 for the first and last days, and $64 ($59 for meals, $5 for incidental expenses) for every day in between. [Source] I arrived on a Sunday and left on a Friday, so that's 13 days total -- $800 even.

Second is how to skate by on next to nothing. For this, I picked a hotel that offers free breakfast and has both a microwave and a refrigerator in the room. And I brought my favorite fork and Tupperware container. At the commissary, I bought a carton of grape tomatoes, a bag of baby carrots, two bags of salad mix, a jar of olives, some salad dressing, and some pepperoncini peppers. The salad, carrots and tomatoes last four days; the olives and peppers lasted for the whole trip.

So for breakfast and dinner I ate at the hotel, and I went out only during lunch. By doing so, I was able to enjoy myself fairly well, save over $600, and still lose a pound or two.

I love TDY. It's almost like having a part-time job.

No comments: