Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Korean Market

Today SY and I drove up to Madison in search of Korean food. I have to admit I was a bit pessimistic about finding the really good stuff, but between the two Asian grocery stores we knew of, I thought at least one of them would have essential Korean foods like gochujang and bulgogi sauce.

The bulgogi sauce was easy enough to find, but none had gochujang. :-( We did, however, find out there was a third grocery store; one that specializes in Korean food. Located on Park Street (how appropriate!), finding the Korean Market was like stumbling onto a treasure trove.

We spent over $50 stocking up on all kinds of goodies: bulgogi meat, gochujang, several types of banchan, some eojingo, and Korean-style ramyeon. We got all the kim chi we thought we could handle, plus gochu karu for making our own at home, and two packages of Japanese udong for good measure.

Finding the Korean grocery gives me a lot of peace of mind, not just because I like Korean food, but for SY's sake. It's nice to know that for as long as we're here, SY will never have to worry about finding her soul foods.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't make a "Seoul Food" pun in that last sentence.

- said...

EO's right. I must be slipping....

Anonymous said...

I was going to ask if you had difficulty deciding which way you were going to pun "soul", but apparently you missed it completely...

- said...

*sigh*