Tuesday, April 17, 2007

All the games I never finished

Fifteen years ago, it seemed the only games I could ever finish were the strategy games that offered some kind of save. Most NES games didn't do that. Super Mario Brother 3 was a great game, but it took so many hours to complete that I just wouldn't care anymore.

My feelings with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were different, but it was just as hard for me to complete (see Angry Nintendo Nerd's review on Youtube for a good explanation; [caution - strong language]).

But now, in the age of the Internet, there is such a thing as an NES emulator. It's like having a Nintendo system, but it's on your computer, so you don't have to worry about blowing into the cartridges to make them work. And because it offers an instantaneous save option, there's no excuse for not getting through Zelda with just one life, or finishing even the most annoyingly difficult game. Even Little Joe and the Fresh Prince can finish off Mike Tyson without getting hit.

I got so excited about playing my NES emulator, I wrote the first GameFaqs guide for Silent Service. Now there's a gift for posterity.
_

No comments: