Saturday, April 18, 2009

Nauticus Museum

Fort Eustis has a Morale, Welfare, and Recreation Office that offers discounted tickets. Among the advertisements I saw there were brochures for the Nauticus Museum and the American Rover cruise.

We had originally planned to do the American Rover cruise on the 18th, but I messed up and we arrived too late for the departure. So we took a free tour of a restored 1800s yacht, then walked a few blocks over to the free Nauticus Museum and looked around. Afterward, we drove around nearby Fort Monroe.



[Source]

I'm a big fan of naval history, so I liked the battleship more than the rest of the museum. The Wisconsin (BB-64) was the last battleship the U.S. built (the Illinois and Kentucky were begun but not finished by WW2's end) and saw action in every major U.S. conflict from 1943 to 1991. I had to get a picture, but because I've been on its sister ship Missouri (BB-63) in Pearl Harbor, I didn't spend too much time looking around -- if you've been on one Iowa-class battleship, you've been on all four of them.

The bow of the Wisconsin was damaged in a 1956 collision with the USS Eaton; to repair the vessel the bow of the Kentucky, frozen mid-construction in Newport News, was grafted on.

[Source]
Good stuff. From here we went on to Fort Monroe

No comments: