Sunday, February 05, 2012

Installing a CAC reader

Military ID cards (CACs, or Common Access Cards) come with a smart card chip in them so that we can log in to work computers securely. It's pretty cool stuff.

One problem, though, is that it makes logging in from home a pain, and the only computers the company's had to work with are the ones in the headquarters office. The line platoons have been out of luck.

Though websites like MyPay, AKO email, and the Human Resource Center allow you to log in with a username and password, the Army is moving toward more secure systems. Even now, you can't sign annual evaluations without a CAC, and word is that the username option will disappear for AKO.

So, with the help of www.militarycac.com, I installed my very own CAC reader.

Though I can't access the Exchange server, I can at least get something done during my lunch break. How ironic that I'm currently the most productive when I'm not actually working.

No comments: