Monday, March 25, 2013

Support Operations Course: Day 6

Because of the snowstorm yesterday, we had a two-hour delay to the start of class.

Of course, I didn't find out for sure about this until 8:55, so I had a choice -- either go home and then come back later (wasting one hour in transit) or find a way to kill time.

So I started my out-processing. The two hours I used today will save me the same amount of time next week. Good deal.

Once we got started, we went over the Logistics Estimate Worksheet (LEW) and then started on our group project. (The instructor dropped the confirmation brief for time's sake.)

As the "battalion commander" for this task, I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be doing, but I give direction to the subordinate battalion executive officer (BN XO) and support operations officer (SPO) roles, who then filter stuff down to the rest of the class.

Over the weekend, I tried out the long jump to see if I could finish the German Armed Forces Proficiency Badge (GAFPB) test before I go to Korea -- unfortunately, I'm still about a foot and a half short. This was really discouraging.

On the positive side, I've learned how to swim fairly competently through lessons I took at the YMCA, so with some more practice I could do the 100m in 1:55. However, I'll have to contact the German Army sergeant major to find out if there even *is* a liaison officer in South Korea who can administer the long jump test.

If not, I'll either have to call it quits or find some way to make it back to the U.S. before November -- just to jump 15 feet.

No comments: