Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Moving in, picking up the car

Today we moved out of hotel and into our new apartment. Although the 11th night cost us $93 out-of-pocket (first 10 are on the Army's dime), it was worth it to avoid sleeping on bare tile. The government furniture arrived in the afternoon, so we have beds to sleep on.
I also picked up the car from Camp Kim, in Seoul.

To do that, though, required a number of steps.
  1. First, I got my orange, SOFA driver's license from the on-post driver's training center. That took up a couple hours in the morning.

  2. Checked out of lodging and took the family by taxi to the new apartment.

  3. After inspecting the place, I took another taxi to the Pyeongtaek DMV, where I got my temporary plates.

  4. From there it was on to the nearest light rail station, where I got on the subway train to Noksapyeong station (though I should have gotten off at Samgakji and taken the #10 exit).

  5. I walked over to Camp Kim and picked up the car. After a quick inspection nfor damage, the transportation office people put on the plates and sent me over to the car care center where I got the safety inspection and an oil change (which was overdue).

  6. Since the shippers require that you have less than a quarter-tank of gas, I also needed a refill, so I went over to the Yongsan gas station.

  7. From there I headed home.
All total, the trip took about 7 hours, but it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. From my experience in taxis and busses, I'd always imagined driving in Seoul akin to driving in Manhattan -- crowded and merciless.

Maybe it was because I brought my new Korean GPS, but getting to the highway going south seemed pretty quick, and from there it was a breeze.

No comments: