Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day care for the kids

To encourage families to have more children, the Korean government is subsidizing day care. As explained by the "Gyopowife" blog, multicultural families can get $300 for what's called the 다문화가족유아이.

I don't know enough about the program to explain more (I wish I did -- offhand, it seems like terrible fiscal policy), but the bottom line is that our kids are now in day care. Registration is 100,000 won per kid (~$100), plus the after-subsidy amount of 140,000 won per month each (~$140).
It's kind of funny. Both kids were totally fine with getting on a bus and "having an adventure," but I was less prepared. I knew P would headed off to Kindergarten in the fall, but I didn't him to be riding the school bus so soon, much less our younger one. So, each day we send them off with the backpack and a clean lunch tray. The school feeds them, and they bring the tray back to be washed. The bus picks them up about a block from our neighborhood.

No comments: