Sunday, May 12, 2013

Korean GPS

When it comes to Korean streets, I really have no sense of direction, and it's really unfair that -- right after picking up your car -- your first driving experience is bringing it out of the center of Seoul on a weekday.

To mitigate this, I had bought a Korean GPS, or "navigation" as it's called. It's pretty cool. In the upper left, it gives you the next *two* turns you needs to make, and how far they are. In the bottom left, it gives your speed (km/h) and what district you're in, and in the bottom right, it shows your arrival time.

It has a bunch of other nifty bells and whistles, like a video and music player, but I don't use them too much. And while it's not perfect at telling you which lane you should be in, the screen is nice and large. It's a lot to take in while you're driving, but I still like it.

Surprisingly, I've found that I'm better with distances in meters rather than in feet, for which I credit the rifle marksmanship training I've done over the past few years. As a rule of thumb, if I can almost focus on it or make it out, it's about 250-300m away.

I suppose that also explains why I don't do so well in marksmanship.

No comments: