Friday, June 07, 2013

How battalion S-3 taskings work

Over the past week, I've been training to work in my unit's operations shop. It's much more intense than working in the SPO, but I've gradually been settling into a rhythm of issuing the daily directives.

It's a fairly simple process. Someone sends me an email with an order that we (as a staff) need to implement. I go talk with the relevant section head and they (typically) tell me that yes, it can be done.

Then I go back to my office and type up an order that -- in essence -- tells them to do whatever they just agreed to.

The thing that makes it hectic is the pace. Each day has its own new demand, and the subordinate companies need to be prodded in follow-ups to come through on past orders. In addition, having never generated any orders as a lieutenant, it is taking a while for me to get fully up to speed.

While it's difficult for me now, I recognize that it will -- over time -- make me a better officer and put me in a better position to be a successful company commander.

No comments: