Wednesday, February 10, 2016

No change of command ceremony

I can't make this up. My change of command ceremony got cancelled.

The Officer Selection Board results were just posted, and my successor was identified as one of the people to be separated from the Army. So instead of a change of command, I'll relinquish it without anyone selected to replace me for about a month or so.

I'm not worried about the ceremony itself. As an HHC commander, not many people would have been there anyway -- there's always something crazy going on that takes people away from stuff like this, and ceremonies really aren't that important to me anyway.

What bothers me, though, is that there's going to be a huge gap in continuity that's going to really mess up the company. It was hard enough for my first sergeant and me to do the work of three; he can't do everything by himself.

Still, in my experience, logisticians are an amazing group, especially in logistics battalions. We've come to almost *expect* crazy junk to happen. It's almost weird if it doesn't.

The good news is that I'm coming out of command tomorrow one way or another. I just hope things go smoothly next week so that we can catch our flight on time.

No comments: