Saturday, April 09, 2016

Moving in

Since the February 10th post I've out-processed Camp Carroll, moved to Hawaii, spent 50 days in Schofield Barracks lodging, bought a second house, moved in, and begun unpacking my stuff.

Which is nice, because according to Chris Kirkham's Wall Street Journal article today, home ownership among Generation X is still hurting from the 2008 recession. Home ownership across several generations is below historic norms, but my age group has is it the worst.

So I'm grateful for the opportunities I've gotten from being in the Army. I was living overseas during the peak of the housing boom, but I arrived at Fort Hood right at the lowest point of the recession (2009). My wife and I were able to get our first home at a good price through a conventional loan.

Because I didn't use my Veteran's Affairs Loan benefits then, I was able to draw on them for our home here. So now I've got a low interest VA loan locked in for the house in Hawaii that I could never afford when I lived here before.

No comments: