Friday, April 13, 2018

Meeting with Veterans Affairs

Today I met with the Veteran Affairs representative (specifically, the "Military Treatment Coordinator") to list all the stuff that's wrong with me, besides multiple sclerosis. This represents a vastly different way of thinking about disability payments than I was expecting.

In the past, VA disability payments were about compensating a service member for losing the capacity to work. For example, a lost leg meant that you weren't able to stand for long periods on a factory floor, so you'd get compensated for that. For lesser injuries, not so much.

However, the problem with that approach is that it doesn't really take into account any quality of life limitations due to military service. If you have post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), it can difficult to even function normally. If you suffered serious burns, you can't really hang out in the sun for long. You may technically have all your limbs, but the effects of your patriotic service will negatively impact you for the rest of your life.

The current "impact to quality of life" approach means veterans' compensation has become more generous in recent decades, particularly as the Global War on Terrorism has resulted in tens of thousands of injured returning to civilian life. And fortunately for me, it means that I can provide a more complete list of sacrifices I've made in the service of my country.

Nevertheless, I will have to reschedule this appointment in another month. I have a few business trips to make in the meantime, which doesn't work well with their scheduling practices. From what I understand, they rely on a separate entity to do the exams, and I have to be on call for when they are ready.

No comments: