Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Biometrics appointment

My wife had her biometrics appointment today. I didn't know if I would be needed for anything, but I went with her anyway. Things went quickly, which was nice, but I was irritated by one thing: the security I had to go through at the entrance.

Despite the fact I was wearing my Army Combat Uniform, and had presented my government ID showing I was an active duty Army officer, I still had to take off my boots and belt and get walk through the scanner. The two people behind me we also in uniform, and they had to do that, too.

I joked with them afterward, saying, "if I had known we had to do that I've have worn more sensible shoes," but we don't even have that level of scrutiny to get to work on a military base!

I realize that the contracted security people where just doing their job, but I found the process kind of insulting. Despite the fact I wear an American flag on my uniform, swore my own oath to defend the Constitution as an officer, and have earned the rank of Captain, I still can't be trusted to enter a USCIS office without the full airport shakedown.

No comments: