Monday, June 18, 2018

Soldier For Life - Transition Assistance Program

Getting out of the Army is a complicated process. In addition to the medical appointments I have to do, I also have to attend various transition workshops. And while retirees are supposed to start on these tasks two years before their retirements, those being medically retired have a much shorter timeline.

There are six workshops in total:
  1. Introduction and MOS Crosswalk, where you learn how your Army job translates to a civilian one.
  2. Continuum of Military Service, which talks about the benefits of the Reserves/National Guard.
  3. VA Benefits I, which goes over things like life insurance, education options, and disability claims
  4. VA Benefits II, which includes over health care and managing benefits online.
  5. Dept. of Labor Employment Workshop, which goes over how to look for a job, create a resume, and write a cover letter.
  6. Financial Planning, which discusses VA home ownership, financial planning, and taxes.
It's possible to do them all in one week, but your brain needs time to take in everything and practice what you've learned. I think it's better to space them out.

Today I began with the Introduction and MOS Crosswalk, which took up the morning. In the afternoon, I did VA Benefits I. It's a lot to take in, and I still have a lot of questions, but have a good bit of time to sort everything out.

No comments: