Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Things I like about Korea: cheap lunches

My sister sent me a big poster a few months ago with some questions written by her class. (Unlike me, she's an actual, certified teacher in the U.S.) It had some cute questions on there, like "Do you have a girlfriend?" and "Are the doorways shorter?", but there was also one about what there is to eat.

As in the States, there's always a McDonald's close by, as well as some other fast food restaurants. In my neighborhood of Suji, there's a KFC, a Pizza Hut, the McDonald's and a Popeye's. (I know .. a Popeye's?) There's also a pair of Baskin Robbins, which I'm really happy about.

Unlike in the States, though, the best places to get fast and cheap stuff to shove in your cake-hole isn't at a fast-food joint -- it's at one of the infinite number of the Korean (and Korean-ish) restaurants ("-ish" because 돈까스 is officially Japanese). My particular favorite is the Hansot place down the street from my school.

Hansot's got great stuff at some extremely low prices -- kim chi fried rice (김치볶음밥), for example, is only 1800 won (about $1.50). Other "plate lunches" (the Hawaii term for a styrofoam lunch container with rice and fixings) are just as great a deal at about $1.60. Tack on another 1100 won for a coke and you've got a heck of a lunch for all of about two-and-a-half bucks. Sweet!

No comments: