Monday, January 24, 2005

New cell phone

No one would ever include me in the group of "early adopters" of technology.

I got through college without owning a computer, and the one I have now is over five years old. I know how PDAs work because of my last job, though I've never owned one of my own. In the U.S., I never got anything more than the most basic, comes-with-the-year-contract cell phone, and I've managed to get by in one of the most cell phone fashion-conscious countries in the world for the past year and a half without one at all.

Until now.

This past Saturday I bought an LP-3400P from LG Telecom. It has a 1.3 megapixel camera, a built-in MP3 player, infrared beaming capability, a removable mini-SD card slot, and many customizable features. On top of all this, it's a phone, too! Imagine that!

There's one thing I don't like, though, and that's the double-edge of its classification by my computer. The good news is that its driver makes it look like a modem, so it's possible to create my own little wireless Internet setup (whatever its pitfalls). The downside is that I can't just load my MP3s directly from my computer, which is what I'd rather do. So now, to avoid having to rely on the telecoms' Korean language websites for my music, I have to find a miniSD card reader to move my stuff on and off my hard drive.

Oh well... At least I have a kick-butt, conversation-piece mobile phone.

In related news, I read this article today that one of the seven best ways to build wealth is to "allocate [one's] time, energy and money efficiently, in ways conducive to building wealth" and to avoid buying "the latest cars, biggest houses, full wardrobes, daily espressos, high-tech gizmos and gadgets of all kinds."

Uh... yeah. :-(

No comments: