Sunday, April 24, 2005

FSWE #6

Yesterday I took the Foreign Service Written Exam for the sixth time.

As I write that -- sixth time -- I wonder what people must be thinking. "Wow, this guy is really persistent" would be a nice way to look at it. "Wow, this guy just doesn't get it. Give it up, dude!" would be understandable, but I think I should explain that I've been taking the test to keep my options open -- it's not because I've been doing badly at it. Consider how I've done:

  • In November 1999, I passed, but didn't take the oral test. I had just entered into a relationship and didn't want to leave Hawaii.
  • In April 2002, I passed, but failed the oral test in San Francisco in October.
  • In October 2002, I passed, but failed the oral test in Chicago in May 2003.
  • In April 2003, I passed, but failed the oral test in Washington, D.C in January 2004.
  • In April 2004, I passed, but because I got into the CHEMBA program I've cancelled my May 13 (2005) oral test appointment. (I doubt I'd get time off from the job that just fired me anyway.)
As you can see, I've had no problem with the FSWE -- it's the OT that's been killing my candidacies. For the most part, according to the diplomats I've met, passing seems to be a matter of experience, luck, and not having to travel 14 hours to your testing center. I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later.

Plus, I realize that all this time I've been below the average age of entry anyway (early thirties). I think/hope that my experiences in the coming year will help improve my chances by the time the next oral test comes around.

No comments: