Sunday, May 15, 2005

I don't like seeing little boy parts

One of the things I liked about living in the States was that I didn't have to see little boy parts everywhere I go.

Here in Korea, some parents are so happy when they have a baby boy that they take him to a picture studio and take pictures of him naked just to show off his parts. I've seen samples in store windows.

It's also quite common for little boys to go to the bathroom wherever it's convenient. I saw one boy's parents having him pee on a sidewalk tree; another time I saw a boy peeing on a wall next to the sidewalk itself. Don't look -- just keep walking.

The worst thing I've seen was in a restaurant, where a boy's parents pulled down his pants and had him pee in one of the drinking glasses in full view of everyone. I think that was the last time I went to that restaurant.

To the right you can see one Sanbon restaurant's advertisement talking about their famous noodles (냉면). I'm not sure why they figured putting a naked little boy in it would help sell their product, but I blacked out his 'nads for my culture's version of decency.

My girlfriend once showed me a picture of her nephew running around with no diaper on, and thought it was cute. She has told me (several times, in fact) that "constantly wearing a diaper can be harmful to a baby's sensitive skin," but I told her don't care and I don't see why those moments are memories to cherish.Boys' parts, whether child or adult, don't interest me in the slightest.

"Keep it in your pants" may be a Western saying, but I think it would make a pretty good philosophy out here, too. I wish it could catch on.

No comments: