Monday, May 09, 2005

Only an English school...

One of the frustrations I have with teaching English (or at least, at JEL) is the poor communication between the foreign teachers and the Korean staff.

For example, I found out today that one of the Kindergarten teachers threw out my map of Hawaii to make space for Open House Day stuff. Though my room is used for Kindergarten classes in the morning (when they're in charge) I wished this person had asked before taking down my stuff off my walls (the room's hers in the morning; mine in the afternoon).

Also, take this dandy piece of dialogue we were assigned to teach Kindergarten students:

One of the Kindergarten teachers drew it up without checking with anyone, and pasted it in every student's conversation practice book. The dilemma is: should we teach the bad English as it is, or should we risk making a fuss and earning the ire of the person who gets assigned to fix it?

As the person who's getting fired, I would recommend not saying anything -- just teach the right pronunciation, but don't bother trying to correct stuff.

No comments: