Friday, November 04, 2011

End of Tour awards

You don't get a bonus if you do a good job in the Army -- you get an award. It costs taxpayers less and you get to put it on your dress uniform.

Today we did a combined transfer of authority and end of tour awards ceremony. Though the former was fairly short, doling out awards to 85% of the company was a bit like a graduation ceremony -- formal and somniferously long.

I was really looking forward to it, though -- for the first time since basic training ended three years ago, I got some new awards to wear: the overseas service bar (for having completed an overseas tour), the Afghan Campaign Medal (with two campaign stars for having served during "Consolidation III" and "Transition I"), and the NATO award (for service in the International Security Assistance Forces).

Best of all, I got a Bronze Star. Not for valor, though -- I didn't get get into a single firefight, let alone save somebody's life -- but for merit, the more common reason. (And considering what this Marine went through to get his, I'm happy with what I got.)

Yeah, I know -- there's a certain trade-off between rank and performance required for this award, but it still means something to me. It basically says I performed my responsibilities with some measure of competence and succeeded in not embarrassing myself.

And I didn't have to wait 66 years to get it.

Yay for me.

No comments: