Wednesday, April 07, 2021

Why would Australians care about this?

Today I learned something new -- namely, that Sky News (the Australian version of Fox News) has strong opinions about domestic U.S. lawmakers.

My first thought was, "Why do they care about the representative from New York's 14th district?" I mean, what impact does she have on Australia?
Sky News called Alexandrea Ocasio-Cortez a "nincompoop."

But then I realized -- their coverage isn't about impacting policy decisions or influencing elections. Like Fox News, they're about generating outrage. Looking at the comments on Youtube, they're getting what they want.

I suppose Sky News can waste their airtime covering politicians who don't impact them if they want. It's not like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will get any fewer votes from Australians in the next election anyway.

No comments: