Sunday, May 23, 2021

Andrew Clay Gaskin, Part 5

Drew Gaskin sold me his Toshiba Satellite Pro (a laptop!) after he graduated in May 1998, and I used it to write a letter to my father that month.
In it, I wrote this:
"Andrew just graduated, and his father was in town for the occasion. He took the opportunity to stock the place up with 100 pounds of rice, along with a ton of other Sam’s-Club-size condiments and foodstuffs. Our cupboards are now completely full."
Ronald Gaskin was really proud of Andrew. And it was clear that Andrew loved his father, even though he did not have a perfect childhood. When I saw that Brooklyn 99 screenshot he posted back on March 4th ... I just kind of nodded.

Two things Andrew taught me are perspective and forgiveness. Andrew had to work through some stuff. And sometimes you don't realize how good you've had it until you hear about someone else's life.

As young men, it's easy to be critical of our fathers -- to point out their mistakes or what we *think* they should have done differently. But Andrew showed me that it's possible to take the lessons, leave the past behind, and try to do better when it's our turn.

From hearing his children speak at his funeral, it's clear that's what he did.

No comments: