Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Andrew Clay Gaskin, Part 7

This is the seventh and final part.

Andrew Gaskin was there at my graduation ceremony in May 1999.
I remember him saying stuff like, "Bro, I just want you know ..." as he'd pause and put his big, meaty hand on my collar, "... I really love you. I think you're awesome."

If you're not used to that kind of thing, it can be off-putting. Kind of awkward. But Andrew was absolutely sincere about it, and he wasn't ashamed at all.

I moved out of the 1941 10th Avenue house that summer. It had gotten kind of crowded, and it was only right to free up space for the other Andrew -- the one who had been crashing on the couch for a while. I moved into Iolani Court for a month, then 2909 Robert Place, then a whole bunch of other places until 2003, when I moved to South Korea to teach English.

But out of all the roommates I'd had -- and I'd had a bunch -- Andrew was the warmest and most caring. I miss him.

While I don't know when it was that *I* last told *him*, looking back I hope he remembers me saying:

"Hey bro, I love you too."

No comments: