Tuesday, October 04, 2022

Levelling up from 0

Unlike in Japan, where I was obviously a foreigner and no one ever asked me anything, people here in Germany sometimes ask me stuff. Normally, these situations induce a moment of panic, but I've had some proud moments recently.

Two weeks ago I was at the German DMV getting my international license, and a guy asked me (in German) where the restroom was. I said, "Es tut mir leid, ich auch suche" (I'm sorry, I'm also looking). Not necessarily helpful, but at least it was a suitable response.

Then today, I was on the bus, and the lady next to me asked (in German) if the bus stops at Siegfriedring.

Not only did I understand the question (though I don't remember her exact words), but I was able to fashion a correct response: "Ja, Friedenstraße, und dann Siegfriedring." Then she said "Danke schön" and I replied "Kein Problem."

These constitute significant victories for me. I've been here three months, and already I've leveled up to "extremely limited functional proficiency in certain, very specific circumstances."

No comments: