Friday, March 03, 2023

What a business degree doesn't prepare you for

I remember thinking, when I started working full-time as a temp back in 1999, that a class on how to operate a copy machine would have been a good idea. Unfortunately, there's a difference between what you learn in school and what you need to know to function as an entry-level employee, and I can relate to this story.

‘Scanners are complicated’: why Gen Z faces workplace ‘tech shame’

“Things like scanners and copy machines are complicated,” says Garrett Bemiller, who works as a publicist. The first time he had to copy something in the office didn’t exactly go well. “It kept coming out as a blank page, and took me a couple times to realize that I had to place the paper upside-down in the machine for it to work.”

I feel ya, bro. There are few things more humbling than graduating with an international business degree only to stand, mystified, in from of a copy machine wondering what "collate" means.

No comments: