Sunday, May 14, 2023

Fort Benning > Fort Moore

The place where I went to basic training and officer candidate school (Fort Benning) is now Fort Moore, named in honor of LTG Harold "Hal" and Julia Moore. [Source]

I think it's a good move, because they are more deserving than BG Henry Benning. Hal Moore developed the use of helicopter-based air assault tactics during the Vietnam War and commanded the 7th Cavalry Regiment during the Battle of Ia Drang. As depicted in the 2002 movie "We Were Soldiers," he successfully fought off a numerically superior North Vietnamese force through effective coordination of artillery and airplane support.

Fort Moore is equally named for Julia Moore, who successfully petitioned the Pentagon to change the way casualty notifications were delivered, changing from taxicab driver-delivered telegrams to in-person visits by a casualty notification officer and a chaplain. As she explained:
"I will never forget that tense moment when the yellow cab stopped at my door. I saw the driver get out, come up the walk. I was alone so hid behind the drapes and prayed he would go away but he kept coming. When he rang the bell I decided not to answer, that way everything would be alright. I finally said to myself come on Julie , you have to face up to what’s to come so answer the door. He only wanted help in locating a house number. I literally sagged against the door jamb, white as a sheet I was so relieved. Told him to never do that to anyone again. He was so apologetic. Said all the cab drivers had really hated that duty." [Source]
Given that Julia Moore was the one who organized personal notifications while the family was assigned to Fort Benning, it is fitting that the base should be named after them.

No comments: