Friday, May 19, 2023

What is "woke"?

These days, the term "woke" is trendy. [Source]
But what does it mean? To the political left, woke means "alert to and concerned about social injustice and discrimination." In that sense, I suppose it's a good thing, although the left can be a bit condescending about it.

To the right, it's a bit fuzzier. It's used derisively, but it's not always clear what the user is deriding. And according to this article from The Guardian, it's not always wise to challenge the user on their definition of the word. Apparently, it triggers them.

Because Florida governor Ron Desantis will probably be running for president in 2024, he's been using it a lot, but even his public relations representatives recognize that the official definition is the right one; they just disagree that systemic social injustice and discrimination exists in the United States. [Source]

Some dislike the term, but share the values that "woke" people espouse. Keith Allen, for example, said, "I don't need someone to tell me I'm being woke. I'm not. I'm just being sensitive to the world around me." [Source]

Since everyone has their own personal definition of the term, I might as well join in, too. Because I'm old-fashioned, though, I like the way it's used in the 1990 movie Joe versus the Volcano.
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." [Source]
Here's the scene.

No comments: