Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Bound for Beijing

From July 29 to August 4 my school is on vacation, and I've decided to go to Beijing, or 북경 (as it's written in Korean). I've only recently learned the 漢子 for Beijing: 北京, meaning "north capital." Is there a "south capital"? Yup -- that's Nanjing -- 南京.

How about west and east capitals? Well, they're not in China -- they're in Japan. 西京 is near Kyoto, while 東京 is much more famous -- it's known as Tokyo.

So I've got about a month and a half to study Chinese before my trip. This is gonna be difficult -- I've got student evaluations to do, an apartment to get ready for a move in August, and enough Korean to study as it is. Busy, busy, busy....

But I look forward to it. I confess I've avoided Chinese language, history, and culture for most of my education -- it's just so big. I've preferred to focus on Japanese and, more recently, Korean. Although there's still a billion different things I could do in Korea for my vacation, I figured, "Hey, I might as well check it out while I'm here...." 15 years after the protests at Tianenman Square, it'll be interesting to see the most famous places.

1 comment:

- said...

This ended up not happening, as I returned to Hawaii a bit earlier than I'd originally planned.