Friday, August 20, 2004

Olympic coverage 2

I saw men's pistol shooting for the first time -- of course, it was because there was a Korean who won in it. I was happy, though, because he beat out a Russian for the gold. Though the rivalry is obsolete, I still think in Cold War "Us-Them" terms for lack of a more appealing system.

Women's archery was also great to watch. South Korea has won a gold in women's archery in every Games since 1984, but I was pleased to see the eventual silver medalist get soundly beat her Japanese competitor. (Koreans really have it out for the Japanese.) While the Japanese woman was waving to her fans and smiling, the Korean woman was busy racking up bull's eyes. By the second half of the match, it really was over, and the only thing the loser could do was sigh in frustration. It made me think of something in the Bible: "He who is putting on his armor should not boast like him who is taking it off."

I'm sure I'll have more opinions later on.

1 comment:

redMoon said...

Hello… I see you are back to the land of Korea! Welcome back! =)

Btw, don’t be so hard on the broadcasting companies in Korea. After all, all I ever saw are this greatest American gold-metal clips and a little more here in the States! It’s the same thing happening here like you said about there!

I’m so used to watch non-popular sports like shooting, archery, fencing, table tennis and so when it comes to the Olympics cuz those were what I used to watch back home, so I miss watching those, but it hardly ever comes here. Plus, I lost my TV five days ago, so I don’t even watch Olympic anymore.

Oh.. and I saw Pual Hamm’s performances. Funny that I remember his name (cuz I saw/heard his name so many time) while I don’t even remember this Korean guy’s name. I admit Pual’s performance on that horizontal bar was kick-ass, near perfect. But when I saw this Korean guy’s disappointed face with almost tears, I felt for him just becuz I was from - the shear fact that I’m - the same country.

Anyway….. I’m very glad that you are back there. I enjoy reading your blog writing cuz I got to have a foreigner’s perspective on my home, something I can’t have…. So… keep it up… possibly write more often!