Sunday, January 30, 2005

Board Game Cafés

Korean has these great things called board games cafés. Imagine a regular type café with its cushy chairs overpriced drinks (tea, coffee, etc). Now throw in about 50 million board games and some very patient, part-time college students who can explain every single one. That's a board game café.

I just got back from one with some of my Korean friends. We played Clue first, then some card game called "77," or something like that. It was fun. It works well, too, because you don't have to worry about the "café guilt" of taking up some other potential customer's space -- like at an Internet café, you pay "rent" for however long you sit there.


I wonder how such a thing might work in the U.S. Maybe someday when I'm retired I'll open one near some college town....

No comments: