Thursday, February 10, 2005

Grandpop, Day 4 - 설날

Yesterday was Seolnal 설날, the Lunar New Year, so I took my grandpop up to my friend's house in Yeongdeungpo for a real new year's meal. We ate ddokguk 떡국, the soup by which you turn a year older (it's a Korean thing), and played a bunch of board games. It was a good time.


One of the traditions for Seolnal is that everyone bows to their elders, and the elders give envelopes of money. Chris, the host, was nice enough to let my friends Gemma and Hanna bow to him for some money, too -- about $10. Good deal if you ask me.

On the way back, my grandfather struck up a conversation with a lady and her kids, one of whom was wearing a Hanbok 한복. As I said, he likes talking with people, and is deeply touched when people treat him kindly or thank him for fighting in the war.

Moreover, he likes kids, so he was just thrilled when the little boy here shook his hand and said hello.

When we got home at 8:00, Pop-Pop (that what I call him) was really tired, so he just went straight to bed.

No comments: