Thursday, August 11, 2005

Chinese Proficiency Test

So, after studying Chinese for a month, did I do well?

Uh... well, no. Since the program started August 1, I haven't really been able to study, and since I found out that there are scholarships given to the best public speaker of at the differing levels I decided not to take the proficiency test. I have more of an interest in being a skilled student in the beginner class than a rotten student in the intermediate class.

It didn't really help that my listening skills in Chinese are about on par with a slug's. I just can't understand fast enough.

So -- was my month of July wasted? No, not really. I got some great studying done, and I'll be able to do even more when class starts. There are people in the beginner class that have spent time in China (and so speak and understand fairly well) but don't know how to read or write -- my academic opposite -- with whom I'll be able to study suitably.

Although I feel disappointed that I couldn't reach my goal, I realize that I'm doing all right. The professor was impressed by my determination and the fact that I really care about learning as much as I can. That's a good sign.

I did get one thing out of it -- my Chinese name, 蓝博睿 (Lan Bo Rui). It means "Blue Rich Clever," though I don't think it's as auspicious as my professor thinks it is. Oh well. You learn Chinese with what you have, not what you wish you had.

No comments: