Friday, July 11, 2014

Change of Command

I assumed command of my company today.
Here I am receiving the guidon from my battalion commander.

Speeches followed -- first the battalion commander, then the outgoing commander, then me. Usually, most people are tired of listening by the time the new guy starts his speech, so I kept mine really short. I heard from one of the staff officers that I clocked in at one minute, 45 seconds -- a new record.

After the speech, I took command of the formation, report to my new boss that the ceremony is complete, and dismiss everyone to go to the reception. This is the part that the kids looked forward to -- the cake cutting.
Among the first things I did as a commander was sign things over to someone else for two weeks. Next week I'll be in Seoul for the "Company commanders/First Sergeants Course." After that, I'll be moving my family down from Pyeongtaek.

Strangely enough, I won't really be in command of my own company until next month.

No comments: