Saturday, August 09, 2014

Loyalty lesson learned

Yesterday I had my initial counseling with my boss, the battalion commander. From it, I learned a lesson about loyalty and patience as we reviewed a previous visit from the division's deputy commanding officer, and O-6 colonel.

While the colonel was visiting the battalion, he asked something to the effect of "How are things with you?" And so I told him about my issues with the move, my command timeline, and my frustrations with housing. While I was completely honest, this was the wrong answer.

As my boss explained, those kinds of issues need to "stay within the family." Going outside -- before letting the family deal with it -- is a sign of disloyalty. It's only after the family fails to deal with your issues that you take things -- either up the chain of command or to the inspector general's office.

Honesty is a virtue, but so is loyalty. This is a lesson that would have been better to learn before February, but it's better late than never.

No comments: