Friday, January 27, 2023

In memory of Irma Hochhuth

The Stolperstein closest to my house is that of Irma Hochhuth. She lived just around the corner that now has a Vietnamese restaurant, and I walk past her place every time I go to work.
Irma was born in 1887, and lived until March 21st, 1943. However, her marker isn't entirely clear about what happened to her. It uses the terms Gedemütigt (humiliated) and Entrechtet (disenfranchised), followed by the phrase "flucht in den Tod" (escaped in death), but explains nothing more.

I suspect that these terms are used somewhat euphemistically, to say just enough about her situation that you don't really want any more details, but I'm not even sure about that. Regardless, it is enough to know that Irma died in the Holocaust.

January 27th is Holocaust Remembrance Day, and today, I am remembering her.

No comments: