Saturday, March 25, 2023

I hate the walk-in gates

This is an Electronic Security Personnel Gate, or "walk-in gate". Specifically, it's the one for the Clay Kaserne military base that's located near the Flugplatz bus stop. You enter by scanning your ID on the outside of the booth. It then lets you enter, where you have your fingerprint scanned. Once confirmed, the door on the other side unlocks, and you can enter the base.

In theory, it's a great idea. No need to pay a gate guard to stand there checking IDs, and people can access the base 24-hours a day. There's a problem, though: They break down A LOT. And when they do, the red X's at the top are supposed to light up, indicating the booth is out-of-order.
Part of the problem is that there are two different contractors who are supposed to maintain them, and they're both located in the continental United States. One manages the hardware -- the booth itself -- while the other manages the operating system, the software. For the walk-in gate to work properly you need both.

Another problem is that when it get "too cold," they don't scan your ID properly. I put "too cold" in quotes, because for the gate to not work, "too cold" means just below freezing. If it's snowing, it's "too cold." Of course *I* still have to work; it's not "too cold" for me, but these machines are -- apparently -- far more delicate instruments.
It's frustrating. Here's my car, on the inside of the base -- so close! -- and yet so far. On this particular day, February 10th, I had to walk 40 minutes out of my way to cross the 25 yards from the gate to my car (that first one in the line).

And earlier this month, there was a one week-long stretch where this particular gate was completely out of order. When that happens, I take the city bus in the morning all the way to Clay Kaserne. If the red X's are lit, which is something I can see from the bus, I know not to even get off (and hopefully, they're lit).

In the afternoon, I'll take the shuttle bus to get back to Hainerberg, and then reposition my car near the main gate. If the gate is still not working the next day, that's fine -- I can still go through the turnstile to get out and take the city bus back home.

Suffice to day, though, that the measures I have to take to get to work every day are a major pain in the behind.

Oh, how I miss the days we lived on-post at Camp Zama.

No comments: